Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Insecure Writer's Support Group

It's the first Wednesday of the month and time for Insecure Writer's Support Group! If you're looking for support, encouragement, and helpful writing tips, be sure to check out the group at our brand new website (see here).


It's now officially December, my favorite month of the year, and I have to admit that I'm suffering from a severe case of Holiday-itis. I don't really want to write. What I want to do it make (and eat) Christmas cookies. Shop for presents. Go look at Christmas lights and sing holiday carols. And of course, my favorite Christmas activity, go see The Nutcracker Ballet! Which incidentally I plan on going to this coming Sunday.

So how in the face of all this holiday spirit am I supposed to concentrate on diction and grammar? Or something as mundane as active voice?

I simply do not know. If anyone has any advice for curing Holiday-itis, do let me know. Until then you can find me hanging ornaments on my Christmas tree and watching some truly suck-tacular Lifetime Channel holiday films. 

15 comments:

  1. At least you're not suffering from Bahumbug-itis, right? I'm still beat from Thanksgiving. I think it's wonderful you have Holiday-itis. I suppose I'll get there by this weekend. I love everything that is Xmas! As far as writing...maybe you'll be inspired to write something as wonderful as A Christmas Story! Wouldn't that be awesome! Have a great week, SL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Afraid I can't help you. I've given myself December off, since I'll be starting my NaNo edits in January. I might write a couple of short stories, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't have to write. It's not compulsory, and it's certainly not more important than enjoying the time with your family. I write for a living, and I'm still taking Christmas off (although generally there's a point coming up to New Years where I'll start a new novel out of sheer boredom).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since coming off a NaNo win, I usually give myself a little more freedom in December. I still write but it's more working on smaller pieces or journaling, and doing other writing related work, like cleaning up files. I also let myself do more reading, watch more movies, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't write then! Use this month to recharge and be inspired.
    And eat a lot of cookies...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly I'm the opposite right now. I was in a good writing mode and now shopping and cooking are interrupting that. :) Hopefully, my family will survive my mood swings.

    Maybe you should say, "I'll write/edit one scene a day and then bake and eat!"

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, give it 20 years. You'll be cured by then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep the Holiday Spirit! Writing can commence after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say if you can write consistently over 11 months of the year, you're fine if you want to take a month off. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most people have trouble being productive during the holidays, I think. There's always more to do this time of year, and it can be pretty impossible to balance everything sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Writing, shmiting. Have fun instead! Decorate, shop, eat and PAR-TAY! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually miss writing this month. I've been pushing my book #1 for so long I've forgotten what it's like to actually write! After the holidays I'll get back into it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, you know... you can write this month and enjoy the holidays. Just don't stress about writing, but don't neglect it, either. Do all you want to do, but if there is a day or two where you want to sit and write, then do it! But don't stress it if you don't. Have a happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I say go with the cookies. If eating cookies is wrong then I don't want to be right.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 'Tis the season my dearest. It'll be over before we know it...

    ReplyDelete